ABOUT CANAAN BAPTIST
A Little History On Canaan Baptist Church of Taylor, MI
was organized and had its first service on December 3, 1953 in a small store building at National and Temple Streets, Detroit, Michigan. The name of the church was then National Avenue Baptist Church (named after the street). Pastor W. M. Young was the founding Pastor.
The Church then outgrew that building and moved to a larger one at Ash and Wabash in late 1955 and remained there until May 1957. It was then that the building on Princess and Van Born Road, Taylor, Michigan was purchased. It seated 65 people. Later, an adjoining house and three lots were purchased. In 1961-62 the new Auditorium was built with most of the work being done by the church members. It was in 1961 that the name of the National Avenue Baptist Church was changed to Canaan Baptist Church.
Pastor Young pastored the church from 1953 until 1969. Pastor Herbert Gilbert, Sr. pastored from 1969 until 1981. Pastor Dan Rice pastored from 1981 until 1988. Dr. Bernard B. McCartv was pastor from 1988 until with Andrew Grosjean as our current pastor
Presently our Church is helping to support 56 Missionaries and 4 Mission Projects. One of these projects is a new baby church that was just organized in Pickney, Michigan~ .
The Lord has blessed our church in a special way over the years. Not only has He blessed us with buildings and land, but with many souls won to Him over the years. We need not take this for granted.
“Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish.” Isaiah 41:11